Sunday 22 August 2010

Book Review - Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos









Author : R.L. LaFevers
Series : Theodosia Throckmorton, #1


Paperback : 352 pages
ISBN : 0618756388
(isbn13: 9780618756384)
My Rating : ★★★★★










Book Discription : Theodosia Throckmorton has her hands full at the Museum of Legends and Antiquities in London. Her father may be head curator, but it is Theo—and only Theo—who is able to see all the black magic and ancient curses that still cling to the artifacts in the museum. Sneaking behind her father’s back, Theo uses old, nearly forgotten Egyptian magic to remove the curses and protect her father and the rest of the museum employees from the ancient, sinister forces that lurk in the museum’s dark hallways.



My Thoughts : Clearly I was surprised when I slowly but definitely started to love this book around half way through it.

At first you just have to get use to our heroine, Theodosia's (what a big name for an eleven year old girl!) ranting about how her parents treat hear unfarely.
How she thinks they don't listen to her or respect her, and her constant need for validation is what gets her into this crazy adventure. (I think)

If you are not into Egypt and all it's wonders, this book is not for you. I can easily pick "The Mummy" series as one of my comfort movies. So I immediately thought of that when I first read this book. All those chants and spells, the author must've worked hard to make it readable to children and interestng.

My favorite aspect of this book is that the time set of this book is in the 1900s. And the feable discription of how London (some of Europe) was back then is quite interesting to read in a children's book. And of course, although not much, how the scene ships to Egypt for a while.

It wasn't a roar of laughter but Theodosia's thoughts frequently written in this "()" manner, made me laugh. Loved the adventure, quite thrilling and can't wait for her brother to take more action in the next book and to see how her relationship with the 'thought to be vilan' grows. I can't wait to read the next installment.

 

Favorite Quotes
I do so love a grownup who can follow instructions!

"No, but they lived in much closer contact with their gods than we do."



View all my reviews >> 


Related Posts with Thumbnails