Thursday 12 August 2010

Book Review - The Graveyard Book








Author : Neil Gaiman
Illustrator : Dave Mckean

Paperback : 320 pages
ISBN : 0060530928
(isbn13: 9780060530921)
My Rating : ★★★★★



 






Book Discription : After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.


My Thoughts : Nobody Owens is the most unique boy you have ever read. When he lost his family to a man named Jack when he was only a toddler, he found his second family in a nearby graveyard. Jack is still out there looking for him and it's a long way for "Bod" to grow up and find his safety in the real world (his world). This is the whole setting of this book and I'd say that it was more than enough.

Each chapter introduces fascinating new characters and different time in Bod's life. So I was partially sad to not have read all his life in real time although now that I think about it, I doubt something interesting could happen everyday. Afterall, he lived in a graveyard.
It is strange how even though I've only read parts of his life, it brought tears to my eyes when they said good-byes, like as if I actually have been with them, 
all the 15 years of his life.

This book is more about the journey of life and death than the mystery itself. I have read it with concern and hopes for Nobody Owens. And for some reason, 
I have a feeling that he will be just fine


Favorite Quote
"There are always people who find their lives have become so unsupportable they believe the best thing they could do would be to hasten their transition to another plane of existence." "They kill themselves, you mean?" said Bod. "Indeed." "Does it work?" "Are they happier dead?" "Sometimes. Mostly, no. It's like the poeple who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. If you see what I mean." "Sort of," said Bod.



Related Posts with Thumbnails