Saturday 24 July 2010

Movie Review - Sorcerer's Apprentice



Director : Jon Turteltaub
Release Date : July, 2010 (USA)
Cast :
Nicolas Cage as Balthazar Blake
Jay Baruchel as Dave Stutler
Alfred Molina as Maxim Horvath
Monica Bellucci as Veronica
Runtime : 109 mins
My Rating : 7/10


Plot : Balthazar Blake is a master sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan trying to defend the city from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath. Balthazar can't do this alone, so he recruits Dave Stutler, a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potetial, as his reluctant protege. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic, and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It'll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes The Sorcerer's Apprentice. (from Walt Disney Pictures)



My Thoughts : This was one of my most anticipated movie of summer 2010 along with "Incepsion", "Eclipse", "Despicable Me" and "The Last Airbender".

I cannot help but compare this with the movie "Percy Jackson : the lightning thief". I can't put my finger on why but it feels similar to me.
Nicholas Cage could not have picked a better movie !
I loved his preformance in this, than any other action movie he's recently done ! He looked deep and believable in those semi-long curly hair, just like Johnny Depp as a pirate.




And Jay Baruchel was okay. His studder made me wonder if he ever did that in real life. His character was a little annoying for me, he just wasn't standing out. In a movie title like this, which character is more dominant? Sorcere? or his Apprentice? I guess it's both but in this movie the sorcerer has definately out staged the apprentice.

Special effects were great, could have been awesome with 3D.
All in all, I'd love to watch it again.





Related Posts with Thumbnails